I was one lucky girl growing up with both sets of grandparents nearby. I was one of 26 grandchildren on my father's side and 1 of 5 grandchildren on my mother's side. My mom's parents, Grandma and Grandpa Garrard, spoiled us and we loved it....of course. It was easy to spoil us because there were only 5 kids:) They spent quality time with each one of us and had us over for every single holiday, birthday, celebration, or whatever. Every meal we ate at their house was around a huge wood table in their enclosed patio. My grandpa had built benches to go around the table to accommodate all 9 of us. Well a couple of months ago I inherited the benches and table. I was so excited to have this wonderful memory in my home. The benches needed some TLC so I got to work sanding and painting them. I loved thinking about my grandparents while I worked on them. I know they would be so happy to see me holding on to them if they were still alive.

The moment I opened up the primer all of my girls wanted to help. I tried to tell them that I only had one brush. They ran inside and found little paint brushes and begged and begged to help. I finally gave in and told them they could cover the cracks and hard-to-get places.

I tried not to hyperventilate each time their brushes got too close to someones clothes or body. I couldn't believe I was letting them paint with PERMANENT paint. I did tell them that once I started with the top coat, I'd be doing that on my own. They seemed satisfied and I was relieved.
Looking much better after one coat of primer. Two more coats of my top coat and I'll be done.

FINISHED!!!! It is always so exciting when a project is finished. I'm so happy to remember my Grandma and Grandpa each day we sit around the table as a family. Now I want to refinish the top of the table. Once again I have no idea how to do it, but I'm sure I will figure it out:) Especially since I have brothers that seem to know things like this, or at least they pretend. Thanks guys for your advice on the benches.




2 comments:
The benches look great Jill. I'm so glad they are in a good home. :)
Darren
I like what you said about your brothers at the end. ha ha Yes, if Darren doesn't know he'll figure it out whether it's the right way of doing it or not. ;)
The benches look good, by the way.
Post a Comment