Friday, April 30, 2010

The Evolution Of Our Garden!

After putting organic mulch, organic cow poop:) (straight from our friends cows), and sand into our soil, we attempted to plant another garden. Last years garden did okay, but not the best. Now that we put tons more love in the soil, we were hoping for better results. David also did a lot of studying to figure out the best way to use our space. He finally decided on his own version of square foot gardening without all of the expense.



We planted our first crop in Sept. 2009



By March 2010 we had plenty of chard, carrots, lettuce, beets, and green onions. We had been eating them for a couple of months already and we were very impressed with how hearty the veggies were. We only got half of the garden planted for the winter but David and his Dad started the summer garden in the other half in the beginning of March.



This is what it looks like right now. I am so excited. I love all of the green in my backyard:) The chard is out of control and pretty much finished. We need to pull it out. I don't think we need to plant as much next year. We are still loving our beets and carrots. At the end of Feb. we were able to plant the last of the beets, carrots, and green onions before the season ended. Then a few weeks later David planted zucchini, yellow squash, acorn squash, butternut squash, watermelon, cantaloupe, tomatoes (around 5 plants, we love them:), green beans, and bell peppers.



I'm so thankful for David's diligence and hard work. He has done a wonderful job. I'm usually way more involved with the planning and planting of the garden, but since he had done all of the research for this "new" way of garden, he pretty much did it himself. I just harvest and prepare:) Yummy!!


1 comment:

MomOB said...

Jill, I'm so impressed! Great job! We have a small garden too...and just waiting to harvest everything.