Saturday, April 5, 2008

What Kind Of Mother Am I?

When becoming a mother I was VERY excited. I didn't yet fully understand the HUGE responsibility I was agreeing to. I feel the weight of the responsibility very heavy today, now that I have four children to care for. Am I teaching them the more important things in life or am I getting caught up in frivolous things? Do I disipline with love? Am I doing the things the Lord wants me to do? Am I in tune with their individual needs and when I detect a need do I handle it properly? Am I helping them put on the armor of God everyday so they can withstand temptation and sense harm when it may be near? The pressure of being responsible of God's children is very overwhelming, but I know that He is there to help and guide me if I listen.

On Thursday night my visiting teacher came to watch my kids while David and I went to the Temple. I was so very excited for her willingness to serve. It took me great courage to even ask. It's just something that I struggle with. Her children are older, so this was something she was excited to do. She is so very sincere and takes her responsibility as a visiting teacher very serious. She's a great example to me. We got home about 10 pm and she had a big smile on her face as she began recounting their events of the evening. Since Jayden is so difficult to put to sleep right now, I told her only to try and put him to bed if she wanted to, otherwise I do it when I get home. Her and Jayden had spent a lot of time on the couch together reading. After reading one of his favorite books five times Jayden got off the couch, picked up a Book of Mormon off the coffee table, looked at her and said, "Let's read the scripers." He opened up the book and said, "Can you say...And it came to pass? Can you say...Laman?" My visiting teacher said she laughed outloud.

Moments like these give me a reassurance that maybe I am doing something right. If my 2 year old is picking up on the importance of scripture study, then maybe my other children are too. We are not perfect at it, but we try.

3 comments:

Taylor Family said...

All good parents ask those questions, and you are one of the best mothers I know! You do a great job, and you have always been a great example to me and my family of how parenting should be done! Thanks for sharing.
Love, Staci

Klare said...

That is so cute and awesome!! We have been reading the BofM this year as a family and Dennam use to love it. Now, and this happened last night, when I sit down with my scriptures he whines very loudly "Nooo..not scriptures!!". Even though we try to include him he tires of it very easily and I think he finds it boring. Oh well, one day he will enjoy it, hopefully.
You are a great mom! Keep up the good work!

themayerfamily said...

Jill,
We all know that you are an awesome mother that we all aspire to be one day. But thanks for being humble--another one of your great qualities.