Alison has been dreading her math test prep homework everyday to help prepare her for the Arizona State Testing. She was so happy when testing ended on Monday, but her happiness soon left when her teacher announced that there were a few test preps left and she was going to have the class finish them anyways. On Monday Alison managed to make it through because the paper was only one sided. However, Tuesday it was double sided and she completely shut down. I know she can do it, but she didn't want to and she felt overwhelmed. Yesterday, Tuesday, was a very hectic afternoon and I wasn't able to help her through it. Not to say that would do any good. If she doesn't want to do something it's like swimming upstream to help her get it done. After much complaining she asked if she could take a shower. I said, "Sure, that will give you a good break to clear your head." Soon after her shower, and at the dinner table she said she was freezing (the house was 80 degrees) we told her to put a sweater on. She tried to act sick and then she just laid on the couch. I sent her to bed and thought I would just wake her up early in the morning.
This morning she got up, didn't do any of her work, and said her tummy kind of hurt. Then it was her knee. I just pushed her along and we got out the door. As we drove to school she said, "Mom, I wasn't really sick." I just said, "I know." Then she told me that yesterday she took a freezing shower so that she could make herself sick. I guess when she was in CA she forgot her jacket one day when she went to school. She said she was freezing during recess and lunch. Then the next day she had a fever. Therefore, she thought she could make herself get a fever by torturing herself in a cold shower. Realizing that it didn't work she asked very seriously, "Mom, how do I give myself a fever." I wasn't able to provide any good answer. She proceeded to tell me that she wasn't really nervous about not having her work done. I just said, "Well, we'll see what happens."
Sometimes when the morning is crazy and we run out of time for family prayer I have my girls say a prayer in the car on the way to school:). I asked Alison if she would say it and maybe she should ask Heavenly Father to soften Mrs. Telford's heart, that she may not get too upset with her:). Alison began to say the prayer and when she got to the part "...and please help Mrs. Telford not be mad at me", she paused. "...um...um....um....Mom can you help me?" That's not unusual I thought, but I helped her anyways. After she said amen she quietly said, "Mom, I'm nervous." I think reality hit her during her prayer.
I don't care if you are 10 or 99 years old, learning lessons are hard and never any fun, but necessary.



4 comments:
This story had me laughing. :) Kids really are priceless.
Alison wanting to give herself a fever made me think of Elliot in the movie E.T.!!
Thanks for sharing--it made me think of times I've put off doing something I felt unpleasant, only to find the consequences of procrastination worse than the original task. Hope Alison won't be attempting to come down with any more fevers any time soon! :)
That was funny. Poor girl.
Staci
I thought about Elliot in the movie E.T. too. I only thought for one second about telling her when I realized that it could be used against me:) She hasn't seen E.T. yet and maybe I will wait awhile before I do:)
Post a Comment